Cool Math Sites
Kuta Software makes the worksheet generators that I have used for years and use for the majority of the practice problems that I use during and between tutoring sessions. I own all the programs that they currently make, one for Prealgebra, Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2, Precalculus, and Calculus. I bought the first package in 2008 so I have had time to give them a comprehensive evaluation. If you are a fellow teacher or math tutor I highly recommend these programs. They are well designed, flexible and accurate.
Students - don't wait for your parents or teachers to tell you to start preparing for college. This is your first job. No one will do it for you as well as you can do it for yourself. The tools you have available on the web are better than any student has had avaiable in the history of the planet. But you need initiative. The will to use these tools. Don't stop there. Talk to real people, visit schools. Ask questions. When should you start? Ninth grade. Get the application form for any college you think you are interested in from the web any start going over it to see what you can do to better prepare yourself for that school. You know the Pink Floyd song lyrics "No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun." ? You've been told. :-)
General Math Help
- MathForum.org - Ask Dr. Math
- Desmos Online Graphing App ~ click here for user guide (pdf)
- Triangle Solver at Triangle-Calculator.com
- Math Is Fun Math Tools and Calculators
- eMath Help Math Problem Solvers
- Trig Table - Old School Tool
- Geometry Constructions - Math Open Reference
- Print Graph Paper From Your Printer
Online Free Math Learning Tools
- Khan Academy - lessons and exercises. Simply the best!
- Openstax Textbooks - free high quality textbooks!
- College of Coastal Georgia - Openstax Textbook "Algebra and Trigonometry" aligned to Khan Academy lessons for College Algebra - Trigonometry - Precalculus Courses (roughly equivalent to Mth 100 Mth 112 and Mth 113 at Snead or Wallace State Community Colleges) . Includes Statistics. - why isn't everyone doing this?
- Mathispower4u Tutorials by James Sousa
- Kalid Azad's Better Explained Math
- Grant Sanderson's Math YouTube Channel
College Planning and Admissions
Juniors and Seniors, don't wait for your Moms or Dads or teachers, or tutors to tell you what to do and when to do it. Make something happen. Don't be a lazy slacker!
- Vex Robotics Company - Home Page
- EasyC by Intelitek Home Page
- Programming with EasyC-Nov. 17 Period 1 at SMHS Lesson Plan - by Mr. C.
- EasyC by Mr. C. Video - Adding the code to use a Joystick to control the drive motors.
- EasyC by Mr. C. Video - Adding the code to use a Joystick to control the arm and claw motors
- EasyC by Mr. C. Video - Adding Robot Driving Controls to Drive the Robot in a Square in Autonomous Mode
Raspberry Pi Related
A small, free, and powerful math program that comes close to duplicating my favorite math program of all time, MathCad. True WYSIWYG math. I loved this progam for engineering calculations but many engineers had trouble appreciating the unique and intensly practical "self-documenting" nature of this program. It has been restored from the corporate death it suffered and lives again in Smath Studio! I never thought I would be using colons to define variables and quotes to start a text block again. Hooray. Check out some SMath Studio programs I wrote below to support "Things to Memorize" for the ACT. These are live and calculate top-to-bottom, left-to-right. So cool. Smath Studio has the option to store programs you write "in the cloud" and they are live and work with just a browser. The programs below should allow you to change the inputs to explore, please let me know if they don't work for you. Give Smath Studio a try yourself. If you put any Smath programs in the cloud, let me know!
- SMath Studio Home
- Quadratic Equation Solver with Graph - by Mr. C.
- List of Perfect Squares - by Mr. C.
- List of Perfect Cubes - by Mr. C.
- Equation of Line Given Two Points - by Mr. C.
- Distance Formula - by Mr. C.
- Pythagorean Triples - by Mr. C.
- Area of a Trapezoid - by Mr. C.
- Infinite Series for the Sine Function- by Mr. C.
- Infinite Series for the Cosine Functio- by Mr. C.
- Infinite Series for e- by Mr. C.
- Infinite Series for Pi- by Mr. C.
- Comparing the Infinite Series for Pi, e, Sine, and Cosine- by Mr. C.